First, on Wednesday night I met up with the Sanders and Marotta for dinner at the Old Louisville Inn. Excellent Irish/Colorado mix of corned buffalo and cabbage. Also they have the oldest hand carved bar in Colorado that was very neat. We also stopped at The Huckleberry for some excellent cake, pie, and tea.
Friday night I went to The Buckhorn Exchange for dinner with some coworkers. This place was great and claims to be the oldest operating restaurant in Colorado (also with an antique bar). But the great thing about this place is that they serve game proteins, as in buffalo, elk, yak, ostrich, and others. I had buffalo prime rib and a cornish game hen both of which were excellent. Others had elk, yak, and ostrich. We all agreed the ostrich (I had a bite too) was a bit sweet for a meat, elk was a little gamy but good. The real surprise was the yak which got rave reviews. The other interesting thing about this place was the decor, animals of all shapes and sized stuffed and hung on the wall. Many of which just might have been served at some point judging by the menu. There really was everything from buffalo, a monkey, a zebra, and a two headed calf. They also have Colorado liquor license No. 1 from the early 1900s. Pictures below.
Lastly, after I left the meeting Saturday midday I grabbed a pizza from Brooklyn MCs (actual New York "ex-pats" if you will) cooking it up right in Littleton. Fantastic pie! I burned my mouth because I couldn't wait for it to cool down it was so good. I was also shovelling it in as I drove to the airport but way worth it. That wraps up the culinary review of Denver for this trip. If you ever get that way, I recommend all of these places.
3 comments:
Mmmm... The Huckleberry! Love that place! Great breakfast place too.
Sounds like some good eating although you are a bit braver than I am! What's on that pizza?
The pizza was the Nona Maria with pesto sauce, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatos, and mozzarella. mmm...mmm...good
Post a Comment