Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ann vs. Elizabeth

I finished reading Persuasion and several women commented before I started that their favorite Austen character was Ann from this novel. I had noted that Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice was mine. I do like Ann and perhaps can see why other women might like her best, but I still like Elizabeth best. Elizabeth is a lot spunkier and never ceases to question the situation and she has faults (e.g. the prejudice), which makes her more real to me. Ann is also a great character but she's a little too proper and not forward enough.

But I still loved both books as expected. Although, is it just me or does anyone else find that the first time you read an Austen novel its a little hard to follow in the beginning trying to figure out the characters? I always seem to be halfway in before I can relax and read knowing enough about the plot and the characters.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I really identify with the "persuasion" part of Anne's character. I think maybe that I act more like Elizabeth, but inside I feel more like Anne. I think my happy medium would be Elinor.

nujoud said...

That's what I figure, I act more like Elizabeth and figure I'd end up most like her.

I'd have to laugh about me being like Elinor though. I like her, but she's probably my polar opposite!