Friday, August 14, 2009

Abode Agreement

Just a quick post. As of yesterday, we finalized the contract for the house so that makes it pretty much official that we are moving labor day weekend. The inspection turned up a few pretty much usual suspects in any house and a couple that left us a little annoyed that they weren't included in the Seller's Disclosure. In particular, the fact the both the oven and the vent over the stove just plain don't work. So we had an estimate completed on all of the repair work and have a credit from the seller which for the most part will cover the bulk of the cost which was what was completed yesterday to arrive at the agreement.

Note to all: I am officially tired of realtors around here and the lack of customer service. If anyone ever gets one that they REALLY, REALLY like please let us know. Considering our realtor didn't even find the house and has only had to draw up contracts for us, I would have appreciated a little more effort on our behalf. Our major complaints have been the slow response in negotiations from all parties and our realtors comments and pressure to just settle on the house repair agreement without waiting for the repair estimate. One of their major comments was that the seller's agent was still fielding phone calls with offers for the house. You know what? Big whoop-dee-doo if she is, we have a contract and are in process so you can't force our hand just because there is other (too late) interest. In general, John and I both agree that if we conducted work and negotiations like this in our jobs we'd be in big trouble or fired. And that's extra sad because I'm a government contractor...

6 comments:

Joshua said...

Congrats on the new house!

As for the Realtor - Lisa and I are very pleased with ours. She really went out of the way on our behalf. Even after we moved in and the pool pump broke on like the 3rd day she helped with the warranty and even sent her husband over to help diagnose the problem.

http://www.har.com/AWS/AWS.CFM?AGENT_NUMBER=299593

John said...

Our last realtor was Pam Woodworth. We used her at the recommendation of some friends...and she was Worthless!!! She tried to get us to do an ARM and all sorts of crap we knew was wrong to do.

The biggest beef I have is that you HAVE to use a buyer's / seller's agent because the American Realtor's Association has it set-up that way. We were told that if we didn't use a buyer's or seller's agent (depending on what side of the deal you're on) that it didn't matter because then the entire commission (6%) would go entirely to the other agent. What kind of BS is that? And if you're not apart of the MLS system, you can't list your home on har.com..so there could be this great home for sale by owner (FSBO) and you'd never know about it. Zillow is okay, but is still lacking in update information once in a while. I'm just ANNOYED at the whole process.

Erin said...

Pam was my realtor, I'm guessing Alicia recommended her cuz she used her too. I loved her, she helped us a ton! Sorry she didn't work out for you!

Erin said...

Pam was my realtor, I'm guessing Alicia recommended her cuz she used her too. I loved her, she helped us a ton! Sorry she didn't work out for you!

John said...

We used Pam back in early 2003.

Jen said...

We used Barbara Straty. She went to a lot of houses with us, and eventually found the one we bought for us. The only problem was that getting in a car with her is kind of like playing Russian roulette. She is a scary driver!

Now, if you wanted a recommendation for a mortgage brokerage, I'd have a much stronger recommend.