Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stay on Target

John and I have been going in for weekly checkups on baby ops and things are looking likely to happen before the due date of next Tuesday. The short status is that Mona, who will be acting as my doula, will be on a flight to Houston bright and early Thursday morning. We will go to the center Friday morning to "encourage" labor, e.g. stir the pot without the use of drugs. This doesn't guarantee you go into labor and wouldn't if baby wasn't ready, but since I am so close it has a high probability of doing so. Either way, we will most likely be "and three" shortly.

My current neurosis is worrying about the baby coming sometime in the next 36hrs instead of just waiting for Friday. At least, I've gotten through the last 36hrs since the appointment and we are halfway there, but still, now every little bump and Braxton-Hicks contraction has me thinking "is this it? Nope, doesn't seem painful enough yet." Seeing how I haven't done this before, I am still "assuming" this is going to hurt when it starts and that is how I'll know its labor. Seriously, I may be an engineer and prefer facts and data but it is still a very strange thing to just "not know" what to expect.

5 comments:

John said...

Cynthia (coworker) said that the pain is, "... equivalent to 10x the worst menstrual pain you've ever felt in your life".

nujoud said...

Again, I'm assuming I will understand what that means when it happens.

Erin said...

Thinking of you guys, and can't wait to meet Baby Merancy (and find out if it's a boy or girl already!)!

Jen said...

It depends. I knew right when I went into labor because my water broke - spectacularly. The early contractions weren't more painful than Braxton-Hicks. I'd say it was about 4 hours after my water broke that they started getting to the point I would have been absolutely positive it was labor with only contractions to go on. But then I didn't have the baby until 10 hours later. And that was with pitocin. I wouldn't have gone to the hospital until the contractions were about where they were at 3 or 4 am if my water hadn't broken at 10 pm. Every baby is different, though. They come in their own good time.

Becca said...

I make a really mean spicy shrimp risotto if you need any encouragement.. (reference Jen's water breaking)