One of the things I've wanted to upgrade around the kitchen for a long time now is my knives since I've been using the same set of serrated blades since college. Since buying actual real knives is a "lifetime" investment since any good knife will never need to be replaced, we went and got the real deal. I had been looking at a set of Wusthof's but ultimately went a different route. BTW, for anyone who cares the Grand Prix, Classic, and Culinar Wusthof lines all have the same blades but the price difference is based entirely on the handles, being plastic, wood, and stainless in that order and price.
I did a bunch on Internet research and, I guess ultimately unsurprising, several Japanese knife makers came up repeatedly for their quality knives. I say unsurprising since the knife makers are also the makers of samurai swords which any kung fu film clearly demonstrates the sharpness of those!! :) We got a set of the Shun Classic knives (right handers, so any lefties that try to cook in my kitchen are going to have to use the old crappy knives) and they are phenomenal!! I can actually cut through a tomato without any pressure and crushing and that's with the less then perfect factory edge. They actually get better once I really sharpen them! It makes me want to do a whole infomercial demo cutting through onions, carrots, and a shoe, but no I'll resist. They should hold up to the shoe, but really I'm not going to be the one to find out otherwise.
Woo Hoo! More nifty cooking tools!
13 years ago
1 comment:
Well since you got knives that this lefty can't use, I'll just have to let you cook for me. Hmm, life is tough sometimes.
Post a Comment