Thursday, August 7, 2008

Taking Donations

I was pointed to an article on this aircraft awhile ago, but my boss Jim just found it and came by to talk to me about it. I would love to be able to buy one of these when they come out in 2010 since they are half the cost of a new Cessna or similar. They sure would be a great way to fly and own your own plane with all the bells and whistles of a new aircraft and better reliability. If you care to help make that happen, I will accept any sizable donation.

www.iconaircraft.com

5 comments:

Joshua said...

We saw a similar aircraft while in Florida. It was pretty freaking cool:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jsparris87/FloridaDay3/photo?authkey=S-4dpLJN19Y#5208850173308672530

I'm also collecting donations to my aircraft fund so if you happen to get more than you need for your plane be sure to remember the Parris Air Purchase Fund.

nujoud said...

Yea, your pic is a similar structure. But check out the icon webpage. The interior is awfully slick more like a car interior and has built in GPS and all the bells and whistles. Plus this plane will come with the optional parachute system.

Becca said...

I'm not sure what I think. Do you need a sea plane rating to fly one? if so, how do you insure? I think that sea plane insurance is a fortune until you have about 250 hours dual in type. also, I wonder what they are made out of - salt water really does a number on sea planes, could be a lot of "overhead" before and after each flight. they sure are cool looking though.

personally my plane purchase fund keeps fluctuating. Byron wants to spend $30,000 and get an almost finished LongEZ and finish it ourselves - the advantage is its fast >160 Kts and burns 5 gph and its experimental so he can work on it without an A&P. The disadvantage is that its a very tight cockpit without room for baggage of any type and very weight and balance limited, and also, a production airplane is a lot of work and experimental is even more.

me, I'm leaning toward going into a partnership with 3-5 friends (now that I'm starting to meet all you other pilots!) and buying a $100,000 airplane, something along the lines of a Mooney or Bonanza (both are about the same speed, by a Mooney is more fuel efficient). Byron keeps telling me if I want to do that, I should go ahead and buy a 150 or a Tomahawk now to finish up my instrument rating in and maybe go through my commercial-CFI. Anyway...

nujoud said...

The icon plane is both land and sea compatible. The gear retracts. They just used the water config for the test flights from which this picture was taken. So I would probably use this plane more on land if I had it.

Although I do lament that it is only a two seater. If I really do get a plane or a share of a plane sometime, I would probably prefer a 4 seater for more versatility.

I also find it likely that I'd want a share of a plane, I don't think I'd be able to or want to fly enough to justify owning a whole plane myself given the costs.

John said...

You can have a plane when I can purchase a beautiful 2004 Lotus Esprit V8 turbo in the same paint scheme as our Lotus Elise. The good news for you is that the car I want should cost less than the plane.

New House or New Lotus......tempting.